Short distance racing are being regarded by many pigeon fanciers in South Africa as training tosses. Others are again of the opinion that it is only a clocking competition. In our country there are no glory attached to speed racing. In Europe and other countries it is big business. It is a fact that short distance racing is part of the overall championships of any Club and Union. Therefore these races must be given the necessary attention or you will never end on top in the point’s structure. The sprinting competition these days are far more severe than many years ago and you will not be able to catch the guys in front if you loose points during the sprint series. I am also of the opinion that the methods and medications is far more advanced today and are being used to outsmart the opposition.
To be successful in speed racing you must have time on your side to do daily training tosses. The golden line of success in short distance racing is hidden in training tosses. Here we make use of explosive training were the heart, muscle and brain functions at 100%. It is the same as the 100 meter and 200 meter athletic sprints. A pigeon flies the first 20 – 30 minutes after liberation at maximum effort and thereafter chances over to stamina work for the rest of the race. We are interested in the first 20 – 30 minutes and I advise the following training to win the speed racers.
- From six weeks before the first race you must train your pigeons slowly but surely with longer training tosses until your reach the first racepoint approximately two weeks before the first race.
- Hereafter the pigeons must receive a 35km toss every morning and no further training around the house. (Explosive training)
- During the weekend all pigeons that is not entered into the race must receive a training toss of no less than 120km. (Stamina work)
- All training tosses must be in the direction of racing so that the pigeons can learn beacons as they come closer to home.
- Training tosses must continue like this up until the 400km mark.
- If you do not have sufficient time during the day to perform this training tosses you can do them every second day. The days in between must then be used to circle your pigeons for one hour.
Use any commercial racing mixture. Remember always that the shiniest food is not necessarily the best. It is all about the quality of the seeds. Wash your food if they are dirty and allow them to dry properly before they are being used.
- Saturday and Sunday all pigeons must receive a depurative mixture which is obtainable from any good pigeon shop. The pigeons must be allowed to eat as much as they want to. Monday and Tuesday the birds receive a 50 % racing mixture / 50 % depurative mixture until the first pigeon goes to the drinker. Wednesday and Thursday 100% racing mixture must be fed until the first pigeon goes for a drink. The food should then be finished in the feeding trough.
- If you basket on a Friday it is important that the pigeons be fed only on Friday morning and only their normal ration till the first one goes to the drinker. The rest of the day only water. The reason for this is that the pigeons will drop very quickly on raceday for food. Many Unions basket on Thursday evening and then the pigeons must be fed normally on Thursday evening.
- 3. It is important to administer a broad spectrum vitamin, mineral, trace element combination to your pigeons to keep the tanks full every morning during the week. Good products for this are Racemax, Eureka Plus, Superformance.
Over population, bad lofts, inferior pigeons and a lack of knowledge concerning disease and medication is most pigeon fanciers down fall. We must make the best of a bad situation and therefore I present to you a guideline on how to keep your pigeons healthy during the season. Crop canker, Paratyphoid/Salmonella and breathing diseases are by far the biggest problem in our country. It is therefore these 3 diseases that needs attention and I advise the following cycle. Start six weeks before the first race with this cycle.
Week 1 :
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: A product that combats canker, cossidioses together.(TAC +, Tric ‘n Coc, Tricanox, T+K+K, Pegosan, Cocci Geel or Gambacozid) : A broad spectrum vitamin, mineral and trace element combination every morning. (Racemax, Eureka Plus, Superformanance). Probiotics is also very handy during these last 3 days before basketing (Probiolec, Probiotic plus). Saturday: A electrolyte combination to restore the salt / mineral / electrolyte levels in the pigeon. (Electroliten BVP, Recupe,)
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: A antibiotic that combats breathing problems, Salmonella and Paratyphoid together. ( Trimeto plus, CEE TEE powder, Oxygen powder, Ornimyco, Chlorophinicol plus). : A broad spectrum vitamin, mineral and trace element combination must be given every morning. (Racemax, Eureka Plus, Superformanance). Probiotics is also very handy during these last 3 days before basketing(Probiolec,Probiotic Plus). Saturday: A electrolyte combination to restore the Salt / mineral / electrolyte levels in the pigeon. (Electroliten BVP, Recupe, )
Week 3 :
Sunday: Time to deworm. Any of the following products can be used. Wormino tablets or liquid,. On Monday a moderate mixture of Epson salts can be given. Two teaspoons per liter. A broad spectrum vitamin, mineral and trace element combination every morning over food (As above). Probiotics is also very handy during these last 3 days before basketing in the water (As above). Saturday: A electrolyte combination to restore the salt / mineral / electrolyte levels in the pigeon (As above).
Repeat this cycle every 3 weeks. Treat all your racing pigeons simultaneously. You do not have to treat a team of pigeons specially to race. You only have to own good pigeons and keep them healthy. You can contact us for a detailed race program that includes the names of the Products we use. It is included in our color catalogue that consists of 34 pages.
- Divide your pigeons into two teams and race them the whole season like this. If a pigeon returns badly from a race he must be allowed to rest up to 4 weeks.
- I realize there are many muties on the market that are being regarded as “I may win” products. Muties has being responsible for many bad races. Do not listen to all the fanciers and their muties. Good pigeons are the foundation of our sport.
- You will notice from the above basic program that I am very focused on the usage of vitamins, minerals, trace elements and electrolytes. Remember that we expect the best results from our pigeons and that these pigeons are being put through a very demanding racing season. We need to keep the tanks full for the birds to last the season and food alone is not sufficient. Pigeons must also not be raced to hungry as they will not last. More food must be given after the 400km mark but the birds must not be allowed to get fat. A fat pigeons drops out of the pack very quickly.
You may phone me any time for race winning tips or problems you have in your loft. Tel: 053 8312619 (w) or 072 4081666 (Sell).